First Level (P2 - 4)
Learning at Home Support
As a result of school and nursery closure we are aware that as parents you may be worried about how your children will learn over the coming weeks. We also know that this time of uncertainty and change in routine can be very unsettling for children. Many of us are parents ourselves and know that extended periods of time at home can be challenging as a family.
Please do not panic about providing the curriculum for your children the way settings do. At this young age all learning in settings is through play. Play is the greatest work a child can engage in. Please don't underestimate the enormous learning opportunities offered by:
- Baking a cake, scones, pancakes (similar but different, cool!).
- Building a Lego set - from instructions and then a random self-creation.
- Play board games - learn to read and follow rules, understand sequences, take turns, wait, problem solve, accept defeat or win graciously. Design a new board game and write the rules to play it. Then play it together.
- Plant and nurture seeds and bulbs.
- Write letters to the elderly in care homes. Create a menu for the week ahead.
- Write a recipe for dinner.
- Follow someone else's recipe.
- Enjoy mealtimes together.
- Make a phone call to a friend.
- Read a story then make up a drama to show parents.
- Listen to favourite music and make up a dance. Yoga (Cosmic Kids on YouTube might be a good start).
- Let them vacuum the house, wash the dishes or the windows, hang laundry.
- Build dens - make it taller or darker. How wide a den can you make with only 3 blankets?
- Make a picnic and eat in the den with a story afterwards.
- Learn to wrap parcels and gifts (life skill!) Play with chopsticks then challenge each other to finish lunch without a fork.
- Make soup together
- Take a selfie a day and animate the changes over the weeks. Do the same with a tree or plant outside. Especially fun in spring with the growth to come.
- Write or draw a diary.
Thanks to the huge commitment of our staff team they are providing learning at home grids twice weekly for you to complete with your child. Please look out within your emails for these activities. In addition to this we offer activities on twitter also.
Please do not feel obliged to complete these activities they are only suggestions.
Additional Learning Opportunities Links
Below are some hyperlinks to useful websites which may support you. We will continue to update our blog over the coming days with further tips and ideas of how to support your child's learning at home. If you would like to share the home learning adventures you have with your child, please feel free to tweet them adding #greenrigglearningathome we love to see what your children are doing at home.
- Transition passport Providing individualised support during school transitions - for children and young people, who might struggle with anxiety, changes to routines and who might require a personalised approach to transition
- The BBC unveils its biggest push on education in its history - ensuring that every child in the UK has the opportunity to continue to follow the appropriate core parts of their nation's school curriculum in these challenging times. - Find out more here
- National Online safety: Top tips on how to learn safely online for: Parent/carers | Children | Teachers
- Stuart Prike - 'Remains' in Word/PDF format - 5 booklets for 5 of the poems plus guiding students on how to compare in an essay
- Free spelling App - SirLinkalot
- KS1, KS2 resources - Literacy Shed
- British Library - How to make a mini book
- Online Gruffalo workshop, and lots more. Plus stories read by Tony Ross, author - 7 stories, Facebook
- Developing vocabulary and spoken language - Word games for families - Word aware Word games for schools - Wordaware. Thinking Talking
- A list of publishers offering free resources - The book seller
- Read great literature online - Free Ebooks, poetry, classic literature
- Read Free Literature - also includes study guides
- 50,000 free ebooks - arranged by genre
- 3000 Ebooks and audiobooks - free for children of all ages
- Audible stories - Free during this period
- Open Library Access - Free
- Children's books read online - Facebook
- Kids' Poems and Stories with Michael Rosen - Free stories, poems, songs, and jokes - YouTube. Subscribe and only click on that name
- Houghton Mifflin Books - Learning activities based on numerous books
- Elamentari - Write and code interactive stories - free access during school closures
- Gutenburg - Download free books, e.g. Shakespear, Edgar Allen Poe, Frankenstein, etc.
- Solomon Kingsnorth - Free books in PDF, Word and audiobook format - Alice in Wonderland / Wind in the Willows / The Railway Children / The Jungle Book / Peter Pan / Black Beauty
- Reading aloud - Children can listen to stories being read aloud - YouTube
- Cambridge University Press - ALL 700 textbooks are currently available FREE in HTML format
- Hoopla - Public library online
- Creative writing resources - By Lou Enstone
- Trugs - Phonic reading games for all children, including those who cannot read or have dyslexia. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for 20% off using cv2020
- Homework booklets by Garry Hammonds:
- Dropbox files from Susan Strachan
- CrickerSoft - Reading and writing software for all abilities - Free during this period
- Core knowledge about GCSE literary texts which pupils should memorise: plot, characters, setting, context, themes, and key quotations
- Douglas Wise - GCSE English and English Literature resources
- Mr Bruff podcasts - Covering a range of English literature topics
- The Traditional teacher - GCSE English resources
- Driver Youth Trust - over 50 free resources, designed to help teachers get *all* of their learners engaged with reading, writing, communication
- Jane Considine "If schools in the UK close, I will be delivering daily English activities by video for pupils to complete at home. More details to follow. If you're interested in your children getting involved"
- Love My Books - Creative, fun activities to support children's literacy
- Biff, Chip and Kipper books - online and audio
- David Walliams - One audio story every day - free
- Free online picture book activities - from books children might recognise - Anderson Press
- Peter Wharmby - Teaching resources - mostly audio of me talking about an aspect of English Language or English Literature - YouTube
- No Red Ink - builds stronger writers through interest-based curriculum, adaptive exercises, and actionable data
- Carter's Yard Phonics - Free access to Augmented Reality phonics cards - phonics and reading - images, text and 'Zap codes' to view online and to print at home.
- Google Drive files - Shared by Ashley Booth
- Discovery Education - Free tool to make your own word puzzles
- The Reading Realm - Free home learning packs/book and library challenges/quizzes/discussion guides/games and stories written by children for children! You can also now draw/write your own stories, poems, reviews, diaries etc, in the app too
- IXL - All ages, database of resources
- Epic - Free 30-day trial - instant access to a range of books (age 12 and under)
- Phonics Play - Free resources and a free trial
- Nessy - Help for children with Dyslexia - free trial
- Chris Grabenstein has given permission for teachers to video themselves reading his books online - royalty free
- CLPE - Free plans, videos, teaching notes for all year groups in primary
- EALhub - Home learning area
- EFL - Rivet - Free app recommended for those learning English
- Teach your child to read - free resources
- EAL Journal - List of resources
- The British Council - Learn English - English songs
- Audible - Free - Available in 6 languages
- Mathematical art - Create beautiful 2D and 3D mathematical models
- Third Space learning - Primary resources for schools, and parent/carers guides to learning at home/support/advice/resources
- Mathster - Free worksheets
- Dr Frost's maths - Free database of resources
- The Maths Mum "I'll be running daily 'live' tutorials on my FB and IG feed covering maths topics and setting work for all primary school years. Also, regular Q&A sessions to help with any questions/problems"Maths Genie
- Number stacks - Free 14-day trial and resources
- Maths with parents - Free support with school closures
- Prodigy - Curriculum aligned maths platform - Free
- Times Table Rock Stars - Free, full access for schools
- Bond Bonanza - Free App helping children to move away from counting numbers up to 20 to turn them into instantly recallable number bonds
- Mathletics - Free trial for school and home
- Manga High - Full, free access at this time - Game-based learning
- Maths Learn - Online tutorials for all ages
- First 4 maths - a few free worksheets (Yr 4/Yr6) to help engage children in maths at home - no login and all free
- My Mini Maths - (Yr 3, 4, 5, 6) Home learning packs ready to download
- Bedtime Maths - Fun, offline maths activities
- Parallel - Weekly 15 minute maths challenges - interesting, fun and challenging material that goes beyond school maths
- Matific - Free trial - Primary - 2000 maths activities
- Rosetta Stone - Free access - Wide range of languages
- KooBits - 10 Free websites for language learning
- Open Culture - learn 48 different languages online - FREE
- Milan Presse - French magazines available to download
- FrenchTeacher.Net - Secondary French free study packs
- One Third Stories - Free resources for learning French & Free digital story box
- One Third Stories - Free resources for learning Spanish & Free digital story box
- Duo Lingo - A fun way to learn a range of languages
- Make a Coronavirus Time Capsule - to record this moment in history
- BBC - Free curriculum mapped videos
- Gelligaer Roman fort - Teaching resources
- Historical association - 20th Century history
- University of Alabama - Free online archaeology and Egyptology Uni courses (create an account to log on)
- Museums from around the world - Virtual, online tours
- British Museum - Free videos
- BBC Radio 4 - The History of the world - podcasts
- 50 things that made modern economy - Podcasts
- Access to 500 Museums & Art Galleries - Free, online
- Future Learn -
Explore the architecture and history of Rome, walking around a 3D digital model of the ancient city, with this free online course.
- 165 History resources - By Karen Knight
- Teaching history - 100 objects from museums across the UK with resources, information and teaching ideas to inspire interest in history
- Open Culture - 6000 digital history books for children to read online
- Arctic Travel Experts created 'virtual lights over Lapland' tour
- Ordinance Survey
- Tutorful - Top Geography websites, YouTube videos, and resources
- Online film festival - Resistance in the Rainforest
- Reach out reporter - news and information about nature
- Virtual Tours / Aquarium - Virtual online tours - including zoos, landmarks in foreign countries, etc.
- BREEF - Coral reef virtual tour
- National Geographic - Information and games for children
- Seterra - Free world geography, online quizzes
Arts and culture
National Gallery Scotland - Creative thinking and art practice
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals - streaming free online
- Free Photography Challenge - YouTube
- Teach yourself to draw - Advice / Where to start? / Sketching-basics / How to get the proportions right - faces / How to draw faces / Drawing tricks!
- Teach yourself to sing: 14-day free trial
- Art for Kids Hub - YouTube videos
- Glued to my crafts - lovely simple ideas for creative artwork
- Expressive Arts resources - Riverside school
- Marquee TV - streaming arts and culture
- Concerts online - Various concerts held without audiences to stream online for people having to stay at home - list of live streaming concerts
- National Theatre - Streaming shows on YouTube every Thursday
- 76 free Musicals and theatre productions streaming online
- J P Brewer - View classic paintings online
- Walter's Museum - houses the highest artistic achievements from nearly every corner of the world
- Google Arts and culture - Learn something new every day!
- UK parliament - Politics, history, citizenship, etc
- Silver cross - Junk modeling ideas
- A tutorial resource guide to photography and editing - Adobe
- Get creative with Digital Making at Home - New videos each week for 3 levels of experience
- Code.org - One hour tutorials in 45 different languages. -no experience required
- EraseAllKitens - Ages 8-14 - provides knowledge of terminology and develops thinking skills
- Tinkercad - Free software tools that help you to think, create and make 3D models online. MineCraft, Lego, and others
- Learn to touch-type - Free access
- ICompute - I.T. Learn Programming and Computational Thinking resources
- Codecademy - learn to code - free trial
- Tynkler - Coding for kids - Free premium access
- Blocky games - Games to help beginners learn computer programming skills
- Scratch - Beginners computer programming games/projects
- Education Minecraft - Learning activities
- Learn to play the piano - Free Apple App
- Music Gurus - Free resources that everyone can use for the next 30 days
- @musicwithdrew - Free, daily music lessons for children on Instagram
- Music lessons with Myleen Klass - YouTube / Instagram
Movement and exercise
- Active bingo cards - ideas for movement breaks
- PE with Joe Wicks - YouTube videos
- Dance Syndrome - plans to provide inclusive online dance lessons during this period
- iMoves - Free, fun activities to get children moving
- Cosmic Kids - Yoga videos for children
- Skills Builder - learning essential skills at home
- Real-life learning - Resources to support functional and life skills for children and young people during school closures